Insights & Developments: Data Breach Investigations Report 2020
Verizon has released their annual 2020 Data Breach Investigations Report, which is a wealth of information accumulating over 100 pages. Even with the deep content of the data breach investigations report there are some valuable underlying messages that are worth highlighting.
What you need to know:
- 86% of data breaches for financial gain – up from 71 percent in 2019
- 70% of breaches were caused by outsiders
- 43% of breaches were attacks on web applications, more than double the results from last year.
- 27 % of malware incidents can be attributed to ransomware.
- Cloud-based data under attack – web application attacks double to 43 percent
- 67 percent of breaches caused by credential theft, errors and social attacks
- Clearly identified cyber-breach pathways enable a “Defender Advantage” in the fight against cyber-crime
- On-going patching successful – fewer than 1 in 20 breaches exploit vulnerabilities
- Report analyzes 32,002 security incidents and 3,950 confirmed breaches from 81 global contributors from 81 countries
To download the full resource please visit
 “Money still makes the cyber-crime world go round – Verizon Business 2020 Data Breach Investigations Report is live”
Verizon Communications, 19 May 2020, www.thegef.org/news/governments-commit-shared-climate-action-through-least-developed-countries-fund. Press release.
Leave a Comment
You must be logged in to post a comment.